Licenses and Leases by Market

The Federal Communications Commission has granted 22 broadband licenses to Clarendon Foundation: 21 Educational Broadband Service (EBS) licenses and one Nonexclusive Nationwide (NN) 3.65 Gigahertz license. 

Each EBS license has four channels (22.5 Megahertz total). Clarendon leases 95 percent of its spectrum to wireless operators for commercial broadband wireless access service, and retains the remaining 5 percent to serve accredited educational institutions in each market. While 5 percent may not seem like a substantial amount, since the EBS channels can be reused in a cellular network, the aggregate amount is sufficient to serve multiple Receive Site schools and colleges.

The 3.65 GHz license has 50 Megahertz of spectrum. This license is best suited to provide broadband wireless access to underserved areas where outdoor channels are used. It can be used in any area of the country except where it would interfere with pre-existing satellite earth stations.

To view an "Interactive" Inventory of Clarendon's licenses, click the top button[s2]. There are links to the FCC database entries, lease information, maps of the Geographic Service Areas, and copies of Clarendon's FCC Licenses.

There are over 1700 EBS Licensees. There are also many commercial Broadband Radio Service (BRS) licensees. These two types of licenses comprise the spectrum referred to as the 2.5 Gigahertz band. In this section, you can also access a database of the licenses in this band, which has been enhanced with updated census information.

Telecommunications Mapping Tools

This section contains links to a variety of interactive maps:

  • The FCC has added an interactive GSA map for each EBS license in the Universal Licensing System.
  • Wireless operators Clearwire and Xanadoo provide online maps of the coverage area for each market that has been deployed so that potential customers can determine whether service is available.
  • The WiMAX Forum has posted a global map of fixed and mobile WiMAX deployments on its website.
  • Connected Nation is producing state maps that allow policy makers to create customized views of broadband infrastructure by county and enable residents to determine the availability of broadband service by street address.
  • Spectrum Bridge has developed a mapping tool that displays search results of available bandwidth on the world's first online real-time marketplace for licensed radio spectrum.
  • ComSearch provides an online mapping interface for 3.65 GHz operators that can be used to identify satellite earth station and federal radiolocation station protection zones, and locate nearby 3.65 GHz systems. This information is used to design a network that avoids the potential for harmful electronic interference.
  • The Rural Development office of the U.S. Department of Agriculture provides a map search tool for applicants to use to verify whether broadband projects have been funded in their communities.
  • The U.S. Department of Agriculture has developed a cutting-edge mapping tool that allows Internet users to search and view USDA and HUD projects that are funded by the Recovery Act nationwide.
  • The Center for American Progress has produced an interactive map that shows state-by-state allocations of funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009.
  • Switch Communications Group, a Super Network Access Point, has provided a map of fiber-optic backbones showing the routes of numerous telecommunications providers that can be activated by clicking on a company logo.
  • Switch Communications Group LLC (the world's highest density data center) has provided a map of fiber-optic broadband showing the routes of 26 national fiber-optic carriers.
  • NEF, Inc. has developed an interactive map, the FiberLocatorâ„¢, with up-to-date information on the optical fiber networks of over 70 carriers throughout the contiguous United States.
  • The FindADataCenterâ„¢ service offered by NEF, Inc. includes an interactive Power Map that is used to calculate Data Center requirements for electricity and select a suitable location (by state).